Seng Guan and Kuang Kong Temple

Go to a Chinese Temple
 
Temple hopping -- I found myself wandering in the heart of China Town, I'm glad I found what I was looking for: Kuang Kong Temple and Seng Guan Temple.

The Chinese community in the heart of Manila is not alien to me since there's a pool of them in Divisoria.*smirk* Also, we can't deny the fact that Filipinos have adapted some of their beliefs through the years. So I decided to take a peek of the Chinese temples around the area. The temples are open to the public, just don't forget to pay respect to the visitors and be silent as it is still consider a spiritual place.


First stop, Kuang Kong Temple. I thought I'll never find this place because it is hidden on the second-floor of an ordinary building on Kipuja Street. From Ongpin Street turn left into Fernandez Street then left again into Kipuja Street. You can ask the people nearby, they know it. 

Incense pot in the entrance of Kuang Kong temple

Red wooden half moon. Yes or No.

Pick among the bundle of sticks then see its interpretation here
Second stop, Seng Guan Temple. It's not a long walk from Kuang Kong Temple (Narra St.) This is the biggest Buddhist Temple in China town. It also has an amazing architecture. It has many rooms for praying.

During my visit, I get a bit of idea how Chinese offer their prayers to their Gods. I just observed and did the same.
Seng Guan Temple

Front of Seng Guan Temple

Entrance door of Seng Guan temple
 1. After lighting three sticks of incense, I sat on the red pew box facing the God (if the prayer is for business then offer your prayer to the right deity). While offering the prayer, I waved the incense slowly and bow my head.

2. After that, I put the incense in the incense pot and grabbed the two halves of red wooden moon-like shape. According to Chinese ritual, you should ask a question which is only answerable by "yes" or "no." I clasped the two woods then dropped it. If the two halves face each other it means your request will be granted and the answer is "yes," but if it face opposite to each other then it's a "no." You can pray again, and repeat again the ritual, though.

3. After that, you may know what would be your day end like by picking among the bundle of sticks with a number that will lead you to its corresponding statement, well it's written in Chinese characters so I didn't bother to ask mine.
Incense smoke

Red pew boxes

Prayer room in the second floor of Seng Guan temple

Golden Totems. Inserted here are the pictures of Chinese couple who died, believing that their souls would still meet.


\





1 comment:

Theme images by blue_baron. Powered by Blogger.